Monday, 14 January 2013

What are you listening to?


Another year, another term and another long reading list. Unsurprisingly I've been spending a fair bit of time squirrelled away in a corner somewhere reading. Coupled with a cheeky little iPod shuffle (that was meant to be for the gym…) but has ended up glued to my ear, I've been thinking about what I like to listen to whilst I read.

I'm aware that some people simply prefer silence and find that it helps them immerse themselves in their reading, but for me music can sometimes really relax me and get me in a good mood for reading.

I tend to stick to fairly chilled music, nothing that’s going to distract me too much from the text; and I prefer listening to music that I know – again so that I can enjoy it but not get too caught up in listening to new songs.  So here’s just a selection of the tracks I would listen to whilst reading, it’s a fairly mixed bag but I’ll try and explain a little why I like each song for reading to. 


Bon Iver - Flume

Haunting music for those nights where you turn pages as the rain lashes against your windows and you feel safe in the knowledge that you are snug inside.


Beautiful South - Old Red Eyes Is Back

I think this is a case of me loving relaxing with really familiar music, my mum always used to play Beautiful South so listening to them is an old kick-back routine.


The Doors - Riders on the Storm

So again, this is a song I'm super familiar with and could listen to over and over again. Its not that I tune it out, just being used to what I'm listening to helps me read. 

Well there we have it, a small sample of what occupies my ear-buds whilst I'm reading. Especially on these recent horrible freezing nights I love getting lost in a world of music and imagination.

1 comment:

  1. Bon Iver are such good reading music, don't know if that is a compliment or not haha!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete